TRT World is hiring a copy editor to join our News team. We’re looking for an editor who can help us shape the vision and voice of the website, which reflects reporting on themes ranging from politics and business to arts and culture. The ideal candidate is interested in working closely with senior editors and producers to tell well-reported and intelligent stories on the day's significant events. The candidate should also have an ability to synthesize complex stories into simple, digestible reads.
● Edit articles on various topics, from breaking news events to longer, enterprise stories.
● Work closely with senior editors and producers and help them improve their writing.
● Punch up headlines and summaries in light of what works for the digital audience
● Ensure TRT World’s style guide is implemented
● Uphold TRT World’s journalistic standards of rigour, balance and fairness
● Ensure that content produced is consistent with TRT World editorial guidelines
● Meet deadlines as assigned
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
● Has at least three years of experience in journalism and copy editing
● Has a strong appetite for reading a lot of news from a breadth of sources and has the skill to pick up the most important stories of the day
● Turns convoluted ideas into clean, accurate, and insightful copy on deadline
● Can write intelligent and tight social media posts for published content
● Can juggle multiple assignments at once
● Is interested in thinking about SEO and social headlines
● Is infinitely curious and always has a solution to make edited copy stronger
● Can come up with a fresh angle on the topic if the senior editor has buried the lede
● Has experience in examining daily and weekly trends to inform and inspire story choices
● Can work on a fast-paced news team
● Excellent command of English (Speaking, writing, reading)